What is a Doula?
A birth doula is a professional trained in childbirth that provides continuous support to a mother and partner, before, during, and just after birth. Doulas do not replace partners, they compliment each other and work as a team. Doulas are not medical professionals and do not perform any medical tasks or give medical advice. Doulas do help women and partners become informed of their choices, and support those choices without bias. Doulas are scientifically proven to improve health outcomes and facilitate a positive birth experience. Read more about Having A Doula.
Must Read: Dear Friend, Birth Doesn't Have to Suck!
Why hire a Doula?
How do you know if you need a doula? While the nurses and doctors will do their best to offer medication and perform procedures to ensure a safe delivery of your baby, they do not have time or training to provide continuous emotional and physical comfort during labor. The mind and body are connected, and especially sensitive to each other during such a monumental physical event as in childbirth. Your mind controls your hormones in response to environmental and emotional stimuli. Your body's hormones control the physiological process of birth. Doulas are trained to tune in to your needs, create the most optimal environment, and continuoully support you for your best possible birth. When you feel safe, supported and confident, your mind is at ease and the positive hormones flow freely allowing your body to birth. Read more about the hormonal physiology of childbirth here:
Hormonal Physiology of Childbearing
- 31% decrease in the use of Pitocin
- 28% decrease in the risk of C-section
- 12% increase in the likelihood of a spontaneous vaginal birth
- 9% decrease in the use of any medications for pain relief
- 14% decrease in the risk of newborns being admitted to a special care nursery
- 34% decrease in the risk of being dissatisfied with the birth experience
FREE In-Person Consultation
$600 - Birth Doula Services
- 2 or More Prenatal Visits
- Prenatal Phone Support
- Continuous Labor & Birth Support
- 1 Postpartum visit
- $100 Off - Combine Doula + Photography
- $100 Off For Completing a Recommended Out-Of-Hospital Childbirth Education Course
"Karen made herself available to my husband and me 24x7 and encouraged us to call her at the start of any labor signs.
When I did begin contractions, Karen was on the phone with us all the way until we met her at the hospital.
Once there, she was by my side for the next 15+ hrs." — M.M.
Birth is once in a lifetime.
A positive memorable birth is worth the investment.